Sunday, August 24, 2014

8/24/14 - The B.T.C. Old-Fashioned Grocery Cookbook: Recipes and Stories from a Southern Revival By Alexe van Beuren with recipes by Dixie Grimes

This cookbook is a wonderful addition to my collection.  The writing by Alexe van Beuren is wonderful.  The recipes by Dixie Grimes are mouthwatering.

I want to move to Water Valley, Mississippi just to go to their store.  I’ll leave the meaning behind B.T.C. to you, the new reader of this cookbook.  Small town wonder with all the stories about the townspeople and lives of the writers is so enjoyable just to read.  Then you start reading the recipes and trying them, that’s the heart of the story. I can’t wait for fall to try some of the soups. The pictures in the book go along with the slow, small-town rhythm.  They talk about licking the plates; I want to lick the pages of the book. Needless to say I loved the cookbook.  I was remembering my old cookbooks and how there wasn’t a story behind the recipes; I love the new way of publishing.  There are stories behind our recipes and Alexe tells them with the southern vernacular that is easy on my minds ears.

Buy this book!!  You won’t be sorry.  I’d recommend this to everyone, yes, even men.  Alexe’s husband makes pickles, so can you.



No comments:

Post a Comment