Monday, August 11, 2014

8/11/14 - A book review of Not Without Laughter by Langston Hughes

This is the first by Langston Hughes that I’ve read.  I haven’t read any of his poetry but this book is full of poetic prose.  The story is about a young black boy, Sandy, that grows up through the pages.  Sandy is raised by his grandmother Aunt Hager until she passes away.  His education in life is then taken over by his Aunt and finally his mother.

If you’ve read Gone with the Wind you will understand the vernacular of how these poor black folk speak.  At first it may be hard to understand but after a while you fo’ shor’ will get it.  I kept thinking throughout the book why it was titled the way it was because there wasn’t much laughter.  Finally I realized that life is what it is; you must keep going, no matter what comes your way.  There is love and hate, Christian and sinner, family and friends and such music and dancing that you feel like you are right on the porch.  The book grew on me as did all the characters.  Don’t expect a climatic ending, there is none.  It’s one of those books that you would like to see more of.  I would like to see where Sandy’s life takes him.  Will he follow in the footsteps of his almost non-existent father or will he remain with this mother and tend to her.


Overall I would recommend this book.  It’s a bit of history of poor black folks in a small Kansas town.  I think I must read some of his poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment